Sunday 28 June 2015

The dress is finished


 … but I am not happy with it L

I didn’t manage to take any photos of the process, because I was in a hurry to get it finished.

On Friday evening, I sewed the long seams on the skirt and the lining (eight seams); on Saturday morning, before breakfast, I overlocked the seam edges. 

I had a sudden inspiration and went to look in my box where I keep odds and ends like elastic and – spare zips! Yes, I had one in a colour that would match, so I didn’t have to go out to get one after all. Good thing too, as that would have taken around 1.5 hours and the dress would not have been finished in time. 

After that, I attached the bodice to the skirt and attached the zip. I top stitched around the neck as it was refusing to lie flat and hemmed both the skirt and the lining. Then put it on Molly-the-Dolly (my dressmaker’s dummy) – and that’s where I started to see the flaws.

The material is almost sheer, which makes it difficult to stitch nicely – and yes, the side seams were puckered. Then I noticed that the hem wasn’t level – I have no idea how that happened, as the hem was exactly 1.5 inches all round. And the top of the zip – one side was slightly higher than the other – again, I have no idea how that happened because the zip was closed when I pinned it. I guess that’s what you get for rushing L




Still, it was finished in time for the dance, so I wore it anyway J

No comments:

Post a Comment