Tuesday 2 June 2015

Wind damage and a cold

I am currently struggling with a heavy cold, so I haven’t done much today. But I didn’t want to disappoint my readers, so I did the minimum I thought I could get away with.

So apologies to those who are waiting for progress on the window frame for the greenhouse, I have continued with the compost bin area, as that is less needful of serious concentration. I really don’t want to get the frame wrong!

The first thing I did today was check for damage to the ‘homestead’ (aka my house and garden) after the winds last night and yesterday. Yes, there has been one casualty. You may recall that I wanted to keep a panel of woodwork that topped a wall where the potting shed used to stand. It was on top of the wall that wasn’t high enough for the shed roof. It was in good condition, so I wanted to save it for the time when I rebuild the shed. Unfortunately, the wind had other ideas.


The fruit trees seem to have suffered too – yesterday, this tree was full of blossom L


There wasn’t much to be done with the panel – it’s on the ground, so it’s unlikely to fall any further – so I decided to get on with the compost area. That involved removing the heap of nettle infested soil at the left hand end, levelling the ground, and firming it in place. It took me all afternoon and even then I needed a bit of help!


Oh, and we now have six of those huge concrete blocks!

When it is all finished, there will be a flagstone path in front of the bins.

Funny what you find while digging though – this shows a section of edging – no idea what it was for or where it went, but they are definitely edging stones for some kind of bed (flower type, not sleeping!)


Anyway, it is all now done and dusted; just have to put the bin together and put into place. It will be two bins joined together, each one measuring 2m wide by 1m from front to back and about 950mm high (that’s the width of the corrugated panels I will be using; no idea why 950! Why couldn’t it be a straight 1m??)


No comments:

Post a Comment