Monday 15 June 2015

And now for something completely different

And now for something completely different

This blog is about all things home grown, not just gardening and greenhouse renovations. So today I thought I’d share my latest indoor project.

At the end of June, OH and I have a Summer Ball to go to, followed the day after by a Summer Fling (also a dance). As it is a special occasion, I thought it might be a good idea to have a new dress – which, of course, I intend to make myself. I already have a pile of patterns and a stash of fabric, so it will only cost me the price of some thread and lining material (necessary, because the fabric is almost sheer and therefore see-through).

It always takes me some time to choose a suitable pattern, mainly because when I see one, I like part of it but not the rest. In this case, I liked the top, but I wasn’t thrilled with the skirt – it didn’t hang quite as I would like. So I have chosen two patterns; I will use the top from one and the skirt from the other. One also comes with a capelet in three styles, so I will probably make one of those as well, but not line it.

The patterns:


The pattern on the left is for the top. I wasn’t sure at first whether to have the one drawn in black and white, or the one in yellow – shoulders, or strapless. Anyway, after some consultation, I will be making the one that is in black and white. The other pattern is the one I will use for the skirt – there is a variety of lengths, but I will probably make it mid calf length, as this is a summer dance.

The fabric:


It is pale grey with small pink and purple flowers on and the lining is the same purple as the purple flowers. I have a week and a half, which should be plenty of time.


Watch this space J

No comments:

Post a Comment