Thursday 28 May 2015

Measurements and frustration Thursday May 28th

Measurements and frustration

It appears my local Atkinsons is going to be best value for money when buying the wood for the greenhouse window frames. Unfortunately, they didn’t have everything I needed in stock, so I have to order it. On the positive side, I can get (when they have some), wood that measures 4.2m, so I don’t have to make two frames after all; I can do it all in one. However, they don’t have 25mm thick pieces, they have 19mm; and they don’t have 12 mm, they have 14mm. Their ‘2 x 4inch’ wood is actually 95mm x 44mm. So it’s back to the drawing board to ensure all the pieces are the right size when cut. I will be getting them to do the cutting as they have the proper cutting gear, whereas I would have to use a hand saw.

It's not a brilliant photo, but this is the basic shape:


Each of the spaces will have another frame inside it, not as deep, against which the glass will rest.

Basically, the frame is two long pieces, one at the top and one at the bottom. These measure 44 x 95 x 4085mm. At each end and in the middle will be a total of three uprights, also 44 x 95mm, but only 892mm high. Between each end and the centre will be four (two each side of the centre) further uprights, each measuring 19 x 95 x 892mm.

That will make the basic frame, leaving six holes where the glass will eventually fit.

There are (at least) two ways of making something firm for the glass to butt up against (otherwise it would just fall straight through!!). One is to rebate the uprights, using a router; the other (and simpler for me) way is to add a further frame inside each window space. For this I am using wood that measures 70 x 14mm. It is actually round edged skirting and I will use it to form a basic box, which will be attached to the uprights. The glass will then sit against that (and a layer of silicon sealant) and have putty or beading on the outside to hold the glass in place.

They did give me some samples so I could see what it looks like.



The largest bit will form the top, base and three uprights; the middle sized bit will form the four other uprights; the slimmest bit will form the inner frame.

I hope that makes sense! To me, if not to you!!

Compost bin

I costed the wood for the compost bin while I was at it. It seems that a bin 8’ x 4’ (2.4m x 1.2m x 1.2m) with a central divider (making it two bins next to each other) will cost about £90. And that cost does not include the corner posts, as I already have those. £90 seems excessive for something that is really only going to hold rotting garden rubbish! So instead, I have checked prices for corrugated bitumenised sheets. Wickes is the place to go for those apparently and even though my nearest Wickes is 12 miles away, it is still cheaper than buying the wood AND it will last longer – so winners all round, really. It will cost me about £65 which is a much better option. Each bin will measure 2m x 1m x 1.2m, so slightly smaller, but should give plenty of compost; I might even have a hard job filling it.

Just as an aside, I was sent to ask about corrugated sheets to Screwfix, which surprised me. If, like me, you thought Screwfix sold, well, screws and fixings, you would be in for a real eye opener if you visited one – they seem to do just about everything, including the kitchen sink!!

Gardening

So I finished off the day by planting more seeds – carrots and beetroot; cutting back an overhanging tree branch; and planting my peas. 

Before I could plant them however, I had to cut back a branch of an overhanging tree, which was hanging so low, the support for the peas and beans would not fit in place. Well, yes, I admit it, OH actually wielded the chain saw!

Before:



After:



I have a knocked-together-in-a-hurry structure, comprising uprights, cross bars and wire netting, for the peas to grow up. It’s in poor condition and the wood is not really sturdy enough, but I hope it will last out this season, then when there is less to do outside, I can set about making a replacement. Maybe next autumn/winter. 




No comments:

Post a Comment