Wednesday 27 May 2015

This and That: Wednesday May 27th

This and That

Today has been ‘a bit of this and a bit of that’ day. The weather was threatening to rain this afternoon, so I decided that burning the bonfire had better happen this morning rather than waiting any longer. Besides, it was certainly big enough!



Then, the vegetable patch was in dire need of attention, the re-measuring for the greenhouse window frames needed doing, and I decided to clear the rest of the floor of the former potting shed, as I thought it would make a good sized space for actually creating the frames when it comes to it and anything else I want to build.



So just in case you were beginning to think that this blog was about greenhouse renovations and nothing else, I did all of the above.

I started, enlisting help from my OH, with clearing the last of the burnable debris from in front of the greenhouse and in the old potting shed, and throwing it on the pile to be burned. Thankfully, there was very little wind and what there was, was blowing away from the nearby houses, where people had their washing out on the line. The fire soon took hold and it wasn’t long before the pile was reduced to ashes. It was pretty hot too!

And we're off:




Roaring fire:




Smouldering ashes:



Once all the rubbish was cleared, it made a proper space to stand in to re-measure the window frames. You know what they say: measure twice, cut once. Well, my height measurement was spot on (both ends of the greenhouse), but my length measurement was 5mm too short. That’s only a ¼ inch, so not the end of the world, but if it had been ¼ inch too long, it would have been difficult to get the frame to fit in the space.

After lunch, I decided that the vegetable patch was next on the agenda. It was becoming overrun with weeds again. I had been away from home for all of April and some of May, which isn’t the best time to be away from the garden really, but it couldn't be helped. So I needed to tidy up.

The paths are completely overgrown:


And between the deep beds too:




The slope here in front of the low wire fence is going to be my future herb bed - as you can see, it is going to need a lot of work before I can plant anything:



I hoed the weeds between the rows of growing vegetables. Then straw mulched the potatoes:





Meanwhile, OH cleared the paths between the deep beds.




The sky clouded over ominously and we needed a drink, so we stopped work at that point. But tomorrow is another day J

No comments:

Post a Comment