Monday 25 May 2015

The Greenhouse Project_Sunday May 24th

Greenhouse Project: Sunday


The next job was to tackle the overgrown vine. It is probably 100 years old. A couple of years ago, I decided to cut it back; since then, it has grown lots of twiggy shoots and very little else. 



So I took the secateurs and loppers and set to, cutting back everything that was too thin, or dead, or in the wrong place. I was left with three shoots with leaves on that were more substantial than the others and placed so they could be tied conveniently to the cross beams of the roof. 



Some of the branches had grown out through the holes in the roof (in fact, they probably created some of the holes) and behind rafters and roof beams, pushing them out of place. It was hard work, but I managed (with a little help from my significant other) to remove them all and clear the roof. As the corrugated plastic panels are going to be replaced, I didn't clean off all the moss and other light debris, so the greenhouse is still a little dark, but from outside, it looks so much better. Pictures are of before and after:




Of course, when I had finished, I had to clear the floor again! But I forgot to take a photograph of the newly messed up floor, so you will have to use your imagination.

Discussion forum: homegrown.forumotion.co.uk

8 comments:

  1. My goodness you have a project on your hands there. I do not envy you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's hard work, but it is also a lot of fun. I am surprised how much I am enjoying it, but I am also looking forward to when it is completed so I can use the greenhouse for its intended purpose. Each step brings its own rewards - a clear bit of floor, a tidy-ish pile of pots and trays, a neatened, pruned vine - it is all worth the effort

      Delete
  2. This looks like a great project, wishing you every success with it and hope you have fun at the same time. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks NYK. Definitely having fun - and hopefully losing some weight while I'm at it.

      Delete
  3. Oh my! I think your greenhouse is beautiful! Those bricks look gorgeous! You have a really lovely project there, and I'm looking forward to following your progress! :) x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks RW; it is lovely - once y9ou see past all the mess!

      Delete
  4. Your greenhouse looks nice, and it seems to have a lot of potential. But there are things you may have to replace or improve first. Have you consulted with a contractor already? I’m sure one could help you redo your roof, replace your windows, and improve the brickwork. And just as you said, I hope to see your greenhouse serve its purpose. All the best!

    Terence Warner @ Brunwin Roofing

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your comment, Terence. It is a wonderful greenhouse, though it does need a lot of work, as you have seen. The intention is that we will do the work ourselves, rather than hiring contractors. Hopefully, the windows will be replaced soon, when we have a bit of spare time - and the gales stop blowing

      Delete