Wednesday 10 June 2015

Runner Beans

Runner Beans

…also known as climbing beans and pole beans.

It’s quite late for planting runner beans, but, as they say, better late than never. I prepared the deep bed by digging out any weeds and hoeing the whole bed. Then I made a circular-ish trench about three feet in diameter.


I stuck 8 foot bamboo poles in the four ‘corners’ – if a circle can have corners! These were then tied together at the top. I had to get OH to do that, as I’m not tall enough. Between each ‘corner’, I then added two more poles (twelve to a circle) and these were also tied in at the top, to make a kind of wigwam. The poles are about 9” apart at the base.

 

The beans were duly planted – two bean seeds to a pole, one either side:


After that, I tied string round the poles to make a kind of trellis for the beans to climb up. It’s quite fiddly and time consuming, but there’s no rush.



I have two wigwams and a total of forty eight beans planted. Looking forward to lots of runner beans later in the season J

I also planted another two rows of carrots and four rows of French beans. Then I set the laburnum tree straight – it had blown to an alarming angle during the gales last week. I re-set the stake and pulled the tree forward, before tying it back to the stake. The tree is only young, so it is unlikely to be a problem for it.

And the vine, newly tied onto the rafters of the greenhouse, is beginning to spurt into growth.

















No comments:

Post a Comment