Friday 3 July 2015

The Arch and the Ivy

The Arch and the Ivy

For some time I have wanted to cut back the ivy – but then I discovered a wren was actually nesting in it. She seems to have completed her purpose now, so I decided today was as good as any other to take the loppers and shears to it.

How it looked before I started: 

The archway before trimming the edges

The top of the arch before the excess was lopped off, seen through the branches of an old apple tree

I first cut back the smaller leaves that were beginning to encroach on the opening. 


Once that was done, it seemed sense to continue, so then I started on the top of the arch. There is no structure beneath the ivy – just its own branches growing across the gap. It was necessary to get the ladders out in order to reach the whole area. As usual, I had a bit of help from OH J

This is the pile that has been cut off from one side (there is another similar sized heap on the other side of the wall:


The arch is now looking good after its 'trim':



Now just the rest of the wall to tackle J

The wall to the right of the archway

...and to the left




No comments:

Post a Comment