Sunday 12 July 2015

Progress on the Path

Having completed re-potting the plants in the greenhouse, I moved into the long garden and continued with levelling the ground for the path.  It is difficult to know just how deep to dig to loosen the soil, because the ground is anything but flat! In fact, one corner of the path runs right through the edge of the ‘mound’.

You can see the part of the 'mound' that I need to dig through in the top right of the picture

Yesterday I considered the idea of actually keeping the ‘mound’ and just planting on top of it. However, there are still trees and roots to be dug out of it and where it joins the path there is now something of a cliff face, about 18” high. The jury is still out - what do you think? Should I level it, level some of it, or leave the 'mound'?


The main obstacles today were the many, many nettle roots in the path. 


I also came across one or two tree roots. I am not yet sure whether these will need to be dug out, or whether we can simply lay the path on top of them – that is, they might be below the level necessary for the path. One thing is for sure, the trees on the ‘mound’ will need to be dug out before we lay the paving slabs, otherwise when we come to remove the stumps, we might disturb the newly laid path – and with all the effort the job is taking, that would never do!

I have now dug across two rabbit entrances – and found a small labyrinth of tunnels underground. These will, of course, need filling – we don’t want the new path collapsing down a rabbit warren!


I had partly filled it in before remembering I needed to take a photograph - oops! This is what it was like before I dug away at the front of it:


And here is the one Storm has widened and likes to disappear down:


So, another 6 feet along by 6 feet wide today (probably wider as I am sure they edges are not straight). The ground is loosened, but not yet cleared.


Only another 10 feet to go to reach the end of the garage and a further 6 feet to reach the entry to the vegetable beds J

No comments:

Post a Comment