Saturday 7 November 2015

Decorating 7

Thursday - we attended an old friend's funeral this morning, so there was less progress on the house.

However, I painted yet another coat of gloss (using a roller) on the wardrobe doors this afternoon. Once they are fully dry, I have the hooks and new knobs to attach in the relevant places.

Also, the brown wall is no more! Remember the brown wall in the back bedroom? Well it is now covered in lilac wallpaper - and looks so much better and lighter. 

Just started

That's half the wall done.

Friday - had a message on my answerphone from the carpet shop today, asking me to call them back. I hoped it wasn't a glitch, like they had run out of x or y carpet! But no, apparently the carpets have arrived already - that was quick! They can fit them as soon as I want now, which was a bit of a shock - I'm nowhere near ready to have carpets fitted yet! Anyway, the woman on the other end of the phone said I could just call whenever I'm ready.

So I set about making a proper schedule, which is crammed full, as we are quickly running out of time to get everything done. I am already resigned to the fact I probably wont get the front bedroom completed before moving day, but I still hope to have everything else finished - the back bedroom, kitchen, hall/stairs/landing, and the living room.

Progress in the back bedroom means I continued to add wallpaper to the other walls. Unfortunately, I have nowhere near finished. As they used to say on my school reports - must work harder/could do better!


Saturday - spent all day at the house today and had a heap of help from OH. Between us we have just about completed the wallpaper - the yellow wall is now no longer, either, 

First sheet on the yellow wall

Yellow wall completed

added the wardrobe door handles, caulked the gap between the window reveals and the wall, 

before - the plastic edging had been placed on top of the original wallpaper! 

after - it's now papered too

replaced the electrical sockets in the bedroom (they clearly needed replacing!), 


In case there is any doubt, these are the old ones!

and plastered the kitchen wall (it needs a finishing coat - will post a pic when it's done).

It was raining heavily when I arrived this morning and there was an ominous drip-drip-drip coming from the wardrobe. I found a puddle on the wardrobe floor, right in the rear corner, but couldn't see where it was coming from. 


I decided it was dripping inside the boxed off section at the back of the wardrobe, which indeed turned out to be the case. A damp patch was also spreading on the corner of the new ceiling. 

The blob near the top of the picture is not damp - it's because I'm still using my phone to take picture! The damp is the patch on the floor in the corner. 

OH went into the roof space to see what he could see and also looked at the soil pipe from the outside. It seems the cowl around the pipe hasn't been fitted correctly, which means water can get underneath it and it is that which is causing the leak. He has ordered a new collar, as the shop didn't have one in stock. Hopefully, it will soon be fixed and then I can get on with the wardrobe. For the moment, we have placed a tray under the drip, so the wet patches will have the opportunity to dry off. I had hoped to finish both the bedroom and the wardrobe, but until I can paint the ceiling, I can't hang the paper - and painting the ceiling can't be done while it is damp!

So, after just one day, the schedule is already out of sync! So after dinner, I went back and did some more. The area under and over the windows is now completed; just need to hang another two sheets. One is quite difficult as it has to fit round the window reveal and the wooden batten that holds the curtain rail. Still, I managed the other end already, so this end should be okay too, hopefully. 

The corner where blown vinyl and lilac paper meet.

No comments:

Post a Comment