Tuesday 11 July 2023

Conservatory Part 1

30th June 2023

When we moved into our present home, there was a kind of lean-to structure that was described as a 'sunroom'. We refer to it as the conservatory, but it's a bit of a future dream really. It wasn't in great condition when we got here and we did absolutely nothing to it, except use it as a storage space for literally JUNK! It's now completely derelict. 

So as it is part of the side garden I'm currently working on, I decided to start clearing it today.

Yes, there's a tree growing in the conservatory floor! [Sorry, the pic is sideways and for some reason I can't put it right :( )

I cleared the much of the mess up to the tree trunk and cut off some of the roots that had spread out over the floor. The mani root was obviously still in place. At this stage, I was pretty nervous about where the roots went. They were right by the rear wall and on the floor and I was concerned about the damage they had probably caused. 

 

I stuck a spade under the root to the front to see if I could shake off some of the dirt and see where the roots went. When I did so, the whole tree wobbled, making me suspect that in fact the entire root system was on top of the conservatory floor and not digging down into it. Thankfully, I was right! 


After a bit more snipping with the loppers - the whole thing just came away (I won't say 'easily' and it took two of us!)


Tree gone! And what's more - no damage to either the floor or the wall, none!

Root in the driveway waiting to be taken to the tip:

The stages of clearing the floor so far:















 

No comments:

Post a Comment